Monday, October 10, 2011

Half a weekend...

I was super excited for this weekend.  On Friday I posted this pic of Allison and I from work.

We were both sporting our Twin Six Cyclocross Skeleton t-shirts.  On tap was an easy Saturday with a bunch of ladies and a 'Cross race on Sunday, both at our local bike race venue Vail Lake.  You see it is very exciting to have a good bike race that we don't have to drive 100 miles to get to, and we are always excited to share our local trails.

Saturday morning over breakfast and coffee Allison and I discussed the topics of the "Women's MTB Clinic" that we were supposed to be hosting.  It didn't work out quite the way we had hoped, but Saturday turned out good all-in-all.  I led a ride with the whole group of women in the name of M2M.  (Hopefully can update this post with all the pics I took later).   The group was very diverse but I think we did a good job.  After the ride we had some food and the women had some chit chat time (okay a lot of chit chat time).  I was anxious to ride and do a clinic but that wasn't to be.  Most of the group wound up doing Yoga.  I loaned my MTB to one of the women and a small group of us went for a ride.  Allison seemed anxious to get home and I think in retrospect she was likely already feeling what would eventually totally destroy the remainder of the weekend.

When we got home we set about our normal dinner preparation and Allison said that she felt really out of it.  I didn't notice anything specific, but she said she wasn't feeling well.  Even weirder, after we had dinner I totally passed out on the couch.  That is something that doesn't happen, especially given that I have been on an "off season" week as far as training goes!  Turns out my body was being invaded by the influenza virus and I woke in the middle of the night shivering uncontrollably even though our bedroom was not cold.  My sleep was fitful at best and by morning my whole body ached and I was hating life.

Sunday morning rolled around and Allison was also sick but still wanted to race!  There was no way I could.  After forcing myself to eat breakfast we discussed the options and Allison agreed that it wasn't a good idea to try to race sick.  We drove over to Vail to pick our our EZ-up and the stuff we had left over-night and then I spent the entire rest of the day on the couch with a fever.  I was really super bummed that I didn't get to hang out with all my race buddies.  Quite a few people came out to Vail that I hadn't seen in a while.  I hate being sick!!!!!

Why can't I get sick during the week and waste a work day?  Why do I have to lose such a valuable weekend day?  Today I feel mostly back to normal.  I guess I should be glad that the flu only robbed me of one day, but it is a tough pill to swallow at this point.  Hoping to do a nice easy spin at lunch...

Looking forward to Spooky Cross this weekend.  Hope I can rally and have a good race.  See you there!

No comments: