Monday, October 24, 2011

Bikes 4 Boobs Excitement!


As Allison already posted, this past weekend was another non-racing weekend.  In some regards it is a bit of a bummer to not race knowing that our racing buddies are all suffering and drooling on themselves as they ride/run/jump in repetitious fashion until an official tells them they are done, but I was relieved to not have to be driving quite that far.  The races would have put us 5 hrs from home on Sunday afternoon.

Instead we did some other driving this past week.  On Wednesday we borrowed some sweet Turner 5.Spot bikes from Turner Bikes and did a ride with some nice fellows over in Laguna after meeting for a chat with Matt from Rock N' Road Cyclery.  Definitely not our ordinary weekday grind!

Friday I enjoyed a long (for me) run at lunch.  5.6 miles is more than I think I have ever run at one time.  I don't run very fast but the idea is to go out and just get some other stimulus for my system.  I need to force a lot of adaptation if I want to be competitive next year!

Saturday after a lazy morning we headed over to ride the mountain bikes on San Juan Trail.  That trail is always pretty busy on the weekends, likely because it is such a good trail!  Our ride was made even better by an encounter with our buddy Jeffe which spurred on plans to do dinner with his family.  I felt pretty good on the bike and was having a really good time on the descent but Allison was having an off sort of day and wound up violently sampling dirt.  Luckily she didn't suffer any major damage!  I like to think it was made all better by a typically excellent BBQ dinner and some ice cream for dessert at Jeffe's, or maybe me strapping ice to her helped...



In any case Sunday was a very exciting day.  New opportunities are always like that, especially when they are this good.  We drove to Newport Beach from Jeffe's and joined the new Bikes 4 Boobs team for the first team ride!  The group is quite diverse but we all have a great love for cycling and a desire to help with Mammograms in Action!   It is a cause that has affected nearly all of us in some form, I nearly lost my grandmother to breast cancer in the 80's.  She was strong and lucky and beat it, but only because it was identified soon enough.  From the Mammograms in Action website, "Mammograms In Action (MIA) is a 501(c)3 non-profit breast cancer organization with the mission to provide funding for qualified low-income and uninsured women and men who need screening and/or diagnostic procedures in the prevention of breast cancer."  This opportunity to ride and race in the B4B kit and help to fund medical screening that saves lives is really giving both Allison and I an opportunity to participate in something much bigger than ourselves.  We feel both humbled and grateful for this opportunity and look forward to our future adventures in Black and Pink!  Many great things are on the horizon!

If you haven't already, please feel free to click on the link on the right side of my blog to donate to the cause.  I have also added an "Advertisement" to the bottom of my blog to "monetize" it.  Please click on it often as I will be donating any funds that it generates to the B4B cause!  Any donation helps and is appreciated by the many people who's lives are touched by this organization.  Help us save a pair!


No comments: