Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Still maxed out...

Since my last post I raced at the Over The Hump series (Tuesday night race). The turnout was awesome. So many people! It was a lot of fun but I don't think we will be back for too many of these as it makes for a really hard week (we didn't get home till nearly 11PM which cuts our sleep down to around 5hrs).



The race itself was interesting. Reminded me lots of CX racing last fall, with the exception that I was going fast instead of sucking wind and going slow. :) I was in the first chase group for the Pro men, which was the lead group for the Expert men. I was having fun drilling it on the front and drafting to recover. Traffic was crazy at times and I was battling for the Expert win with a couple of other guys right up till shit went all wrong...

I was second wheel in the group and we were flying through last lap traffic. Probably 2/3 of the way through the lap (a bit before the mud section) I went to the right of a slower rider (I had called out the pass on the right) and I had almost gone past when the rider swerved right ,their bar contacted my hip. I heard the crash behind me and glanced back. To my horror it was Willie (just back on her bike after shoulder surgery) and Griffith (he had been chasing/drafting me and battling for the win as well). As soon as it registered who was involved I was running backwards on course to offer assistance. I helped her get back to the Start/Finish and we thought that she was going to be okay, but since then she has had X-rays and her collar bone is indeed broken AGAIN. I can't describe how awful I feel about the whole thing, even though she said that she knows she shouldn't have swerved.

I would be lying if I said that part of the reason I don't want to go back for more races there is that I feel that I don't think that the race itself is a good formula for me to be racing. The relative speed differences on course were just way too high and there was way too much traffic to work through. Sure, shit happens while riding/racing but it will be a long time 'till I stop feeling sick to my stomach when I think about the fact that Willie is off her bike AGAIN and this time I had something to do with it, regardless of fault or avoid-ability. I know how it feels to be busted.  Healing vibes to Willie.

Due to lack of sleep, training, and work stress (see post title!) the week flew by.  I really needed the three day weekend!  Allison and I did a great ride in IDY on Saturday...







After the ride we headed to the desert.  While there we ate too much, drank too much, and generally did all the wrong things from a bike racing perspective.  We did however manage to go on a challenging ride...




Trail conditions combined with the wrong tires, compounded by wicked wind conditions, had us cutting the ride short but I was smiling and loving the beauty of the desert and riding with my awesome wife!  The new car is perfect for these little weekend outings...



More caloric and alcoholic beverage over-indulgence followed, but I was wearing a cool shirt from Rock N Road!!!  (I need one that has a picture of a giant plate of food, a big beer bottle, and a giant plate of dessert with "OFF" under them, but somehow I don't think it will help with my discipline...)


This weekend we will be headed to Santa Ynez for the next Kenda Cup Series race.  I am looking forward to racing there since I didn't get to last year.  Eric Bostrom is pre-registered so I hope to have decent race legs so that we can duke it out.  It would be nice to have a great race right before my 36th birthday!  (yes, that is what I am wishing for as a birthday present from myself, having a good race)  Either way we will be celebrating my birthday with a visit to Firestone Walker!!!  :)

See you at the races.

No comments: